Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Vision Test

This picture is a little old, but it captures Rachel's personality.

Last week when I wrote about Rachel's ophthalmologist appointment, I forgot to write about the eye test.  And since this blog has two goals:  to record Rachel's journey with JDM and to inform her faithful prayer partners, I want to write this little story down before I forget.



They wanted to make sure that Rachel hadn't lost any of her color vision, so they brought in a book full of the type of pictures that you see above.  The only problem is that Rachel doesn't know her numbers yet.  And they hadn't had a child this young before needing this type of pictures.  What to do?

The nurse came up with a good idea; she had Rachel trace the numbers.  Even though Rachel didn't know what the numbers were, she could follow them.  The nurse also had her say which colors they were.  Whew!  At least, Rachel does know her colors!

I guess I have something new to do with Rachel during school:  learn her numbers.  The nurse said she would look for an age-appropriate book before her next appointment, but wouldn't it be easier and better if Rachel just knew her numbers?

Something funny and cute happened on Sunday; it was also rather sad.  Rachel climbed up into my lap while I was sitting in the rocking chair.  As she snuggled with me, she whispered, "Let's hide from Daddy so he won't give me a shot."  We talked about various hiding places, like her closet, before deciding that he couldn't see us if we just shut our eyes.  As John was sitting across from us on the couch, I got his attention while Rachel had her eyes shut so he could get everything ready.  Rachel apparently forgot that I am also part of the shot-giving team.  *Sigh*  But it was really cute how she wanted to go hide so John wouldn't give her a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment